Translate

Friday, November 30, 2012

Colour My World... Part 1: Algerian Abstract

Pin It
*(For some music of the ancient land of Algeria to help set the mood, please scroll down.)* 

Welcome to my first post in Erin's and Brandi's Challenge of Color Blog Hop reveal. The participants will be showing their creations inspired by some wonderfully unique palettes: colour-enhanced satellite photos of our planet's geological wonders. We were each offered two choices, and today I'm sharing some thoughts on my first palette of colours:





"What look like pale yellow paint streaks slashing through a mosaic of mottled colors are ridges of wind-blown sand that make up Erg Iguidi, an area of ever-shifting sand dunes extending from Algeria into Mauritania in northwestern Africa. Erg Iguidi is one of several Saharan ergs, or sand seas, where individual dunes often surpass 500 meters-nearly a third of a mile-in both width and height." US Geological Survey. These huge phenomena develop only under particularities of climate and over a million years (the blink of an eye in geological terms!)




Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get inspired purely by the sand dunes of Algeria, so I did a little design research to uncover some more about this unique North African nation!



Algeria is a country rich with history, culture and art, known for its pottery and intricately woven carpets.  The Algerian government has gone to great lengths to pour money into the handicrafts industry. The art of making and decorating with rugs and carpets in North Africa dates back to the Stone Age and began with the Berber people.  The Algerian rug is made to be the focal point of the room’s interior decorating.  You get the carpet first, and then match everything else to it.  These carpets are usually made of goat hair or wool and are generally woven or knotted.



Typical  Geometric Rug Motif


An Algerian home is not complete without pottery. The pottery is in different colors and usually has adornments to make it attractive. It is usually a family trade and the knowledge of how to make the pots is passed on from mother to daughter.   



Traditional Design


I created a little ornament from (what else?) polymer clay, that pays tribute to the shapes and motifs in the Algerian vessel above and in the common architecture of city buildings shown in the video below (click and enjoy some traditional music, too!)



Algerian Abstract Ornament
November 2012
   


 


*(I hope to present my second colour inspiration this weekend, from a satellite photo of Bolivia's Amazon forest.)


Now check out these other designers:

Erin Prais-Hintz  http://treasures-found.blogspot.ca/2012/11/color-full-world-welcome-to-3rd-annual.html
Rebecca Anderson    http://songbeads.blogspot.com
Chrizette Bayman    http://beadsoupmix.blogspot.com
Lori Bowring Michaud    http://artfullyornamental.blogspot.com
Stephanie Buss    http://maxandlucie.blogspot.com
Cece Cormier    http://thebeadingyogini.com
Janice Everett    http://JLynnJewels.blogspot.com
Cherrie Fick    http://designsinthelight.co
Denielle Hagerman    http://somebeadsandotherthings.com/
Brandi Hussey    http://brandigirlblog.com
Kirsi Luostarinen    http://kirsiluokorut.blogspot.com
Melissa Trudinger    http://beadrecipes.wordpress.com
Rachel Van-Walsk    http://balancedcrafts.com/blog
Joan Williams    http://www.lilrubyjewelry.com

37 comments:

  1. That is just the sweetest little thing! You got all your colors in, and a lot more from that region! As always...AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ornament you made - too cute! And such a refreshing change from the usual jewellery. Can't wait to see your other creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique the ornament is great! You captured both the colors and the architecture! Very unique design. I love the palette you chose, those are some of my all time fav colors! Can't wait to see what you do with the other - you overachiever, you! SMILE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really dug deep into the history of the region - that in and of itself is inspiring! And OMG, I LOVE your ornament!!!! I would not reserve this for Christmas, in fact, I can see it hanging on the door handles to my china cabinet in my dining room! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! and really love the North African influence in your piece! what a gorgeous ornament! agree with Patti ... it would look beautifully festive on a door handle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you not only pulled from the palette, but also from the culture where the photo was taken. What a fabulous idea and inspiration. It turned out so great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your total cultural, geographical presentation and your wonderful ornament based on the culture. This is indeed a rich and informative blog hop. Thanks so for making it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome that you created the focal and used inspiration from their culture. I can't wait to see what you create with the next palette!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the keyhole shape and colors of your ornament. Your really were inspired by your research! Looking forward to the rainforest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weren't the Challenge of Color palettes just beautiful? I was so happy with the ones I got. You made such a beautiful piece with yours! You did a fantastic job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing ornament! You definately incorporated your palette colors beautifully! I can't wait to see your other piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What no cane work?!?! Just kidding, well, I should save that comment until part deux shouldn't I? I agree with the other ladies, too pretty for just Christmas - I have an awesome Temari ball - a really big one - that I keep out year round hanging from my chandelier. I love that you dug deeper when the dunes didn't talk to you, but I may have to have a go at this palette, it's a beauty (I think I will be saying that a lot too)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful ornament to be left up year round hanging from a cabinet knob...at the office...off a suction cup on a mirror...oh my the list is endless. Super job with creating something with so much detail that compliments your beautiful color palette! JLynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monique, the story behind you ornament is incredibly precious! Thanks for sharing it :)
    As for the ornament: I surely hope you keep it around when the tree goes out, because it is such a perfect beauty! You captured the core of the Algerian Abstract beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sure did your homework, and made something special. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful - love your palette and design are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow well done! Love how you incorporated the local culture into your ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Your ornament is fabulous. I love how you took inspiration from the region as well as from the palette.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was my chosen palette too - isn't it just stunning! Love the blues and greens together. The design is so special - well done!

    Bead Soup Mix

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job on your ornament. It is indeed unique.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you made an ornament! What an awesome surprise. And not only that, but that you took that extra step to incorporate the history of the locale, too. Brilliantly done - thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your ornament is fabulous! It's been about 10 years since I made anything from polymer clay, but now I'm tempted to get back into it...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your ornament looks fantastic! Great job & a enjoyable post to read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh I love that, gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you researched the area. What a great idea and what you made showcases the area well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great research and really wonderful ornament! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your clay work is wonderful--so precise, clean, and interesting. Love the shape and the rope trim. Outstanding ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love what you took from the challenge and your amazing response! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm blown away by the research you did, and by your finished piece. Amazing, is all I can say. I LOVE your work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Miss Monique! I am sorry to be arriving so late to my own party. There is so much beauty to be seen! I love that you not only were inspired by the color palette, but that you did research on the location. That does my little English teacher heart proud ;-) And what a great ornament! That shape of the windows is so graceful. Love it! I will look forward to your second post eventually. (Do let me know when you have it so I don't miss it!) And thanks so much for playing! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great ornament/piece. I love the fact that you incorporated the pottery from the area into your palette and design. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Monique, I just loved all the research you did & then incorporated that into your design. Great job! That ornament will hold a special memory to you. :) The Algerian music was a fun thing to listen to. Thanks for all your hard work & for the support on my blog. Really appreciated it! I haven't tried Polymer Clay yet but am adding it to my "want to do" list. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that you were inspired by the colors of the palette you were given and the patterns of the ancient pottery. They both came together in one fabulous ornament. Thanks for sharing so much about the algerian culture.

    ReplyDelete
  34. They say you learn at least one thing new everyday and today, I learned about Algeria :)

    Firstly, thank you for sharing and teaching me a little about the country and it's history!

    Secondly, I simply adore your gorgeous ornament you created; the colors in your piece are striking as is the abstractness of it.

    I do quite enjoy abstract artwork ^.^

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...