Translate

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Season of Storms

Pin It
I'm working on my creation for Miss Erin's Challenge of Music, inspired by the unbelievable weather we have been "enjoying" here in the eastern part of North America (and many other spots). I have selected a favorite piece by Antonio Vivaldi. You should easily guess which movement from the following hints:









On a more pleasant theme, here's a musical treat for today, a lovely interpretation of a traditional hymn, from a 1993 recording by Marty Haugen, Jeanne Cotter, and David Haas. There is a newer version out there covered by many other amateur and professional singers, but I love this older melody, written by American Baptist minister Robert Wadsworth Lowry in 1869. The original words by "Pauline T":


My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth's lamentation,
I hear the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation;

Thro' all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul—
How can I keep from singing?

What tho' my joys and comforts die?
The Lord my Saviour liveth;
What tho' the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth.

No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that refuge clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?

I lift my eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it;

The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing;
All things are mine since I am his—
How can I keep from singing?





These words were later adapted and "folksified" for performance by 1960s folk revivalist Pete Seeger. As a hymn, this beautiful composition remains inspirational. Hope you enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, Winter from Four Seasons? I look forward to seeing what you create, Monique.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...