Translate

Monday, March 25, 2013

March ABS Challenge Design

Pin It

So I haven't been in the Zone much this year. 2013 has been flying along... how many times have I read that very sentiment on the blogs I've visited? You all seem to agree: this first quarter of the year has been conspicuous for its desire to hurry on out the door!

While I loved the Art Bead Scene's inspiration art for January and February, various factors seemed to conspire to prevent my participating. So it was with gratitude that I found the time and motivation to make this simple bracelet:




I had these wonderful little lampwork beads in various earthy colours that I had purchased awhile back from Julie of Indian Creek Art Glass. She calls them "Random Minis" and they are a delightful size for earrings at only 10 mm x 6 mm... and perfect for the understated bracelet style I had in mind. This is the beautiful range of colours I received on just one strand:




Here is the cheerful abstract painting offered for this month's inspiration:



Deer In the Forest, 1911 by Marc Franz(This art is copyrighted and is to be used only as inspiration.)

Upon studying the work, the element that first caught my eye was the infinity symbol just to the right of center. I looked at different ways to express this, and coincidentally came across these simple charm/connectors that were just what I had in mind:




I wanted a bit of organic in my design to balance the glass and metal, so I made a clasp to represent antler bone using polymer clay:




You can see a couple of brightly coloured niobium jumprings for a playful touch. These elements are woven together with a natural colour waxed linen:




It was a relief to finally get a chance to join in another ABS Challenge. This ongoing monthly event was the motivation for me to finally start my blog last July, so it holds a special place in my heart. Do check the ABS flickr group for lots more art-inspired design.


The Deer Sleeps




8 comments:

  1. Love your interpretation of the painting, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful bracelet...wonderful toggle! clearly, you were inspired by the painting. just so lovely all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! you've completely captured the colors, and I totally missed that infinity symbol right in the middle! well done! and your toggle is just the perfect touch for this earthy bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Bracelet!! I thought the clasp was bone! Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that painting, what a great piece to get your inspiration from. Awesome job on the bracelet. I missed the infinity symbol when I first looked at the art work, you have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! 2013 has been FLYING right by and it's stressing me out! This is a lovely design and those lampwork minis are adorable.

    I just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my BSBP reveal. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely bracelet, you had a marvelous vision and put each wonderful component to use beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...