Translate

Sunday, May 12, 2013

AJE Earring Challenge, Week 18: Transformation

Pin It

I'd like to start by wishing a Happy Mother's Day to all those celebrating today. There are many different dates marking mothering/parents' day around the world, some as early as February 12 in Norway, or as late as December 22 in Indonesia. What is important is taking the occasion to honour and thank the mothers and mothering individuals in our lives, both those who have left us and those we are fortunate to have with us still.


"Transformation" Earrings


I am continuing to look close to home for some of the OOAK elements I feature in earring creations. The large and colourful discs will be familiar to all who viewed the charms I designed for  the 2012 Art Charm Swap. Naturally, I made extras of each component! This time the discs have been paired with handmade wire Adrinka symbols from Ghana. These particular symbols are named "sesa wo suban" which means "transformation". 





I purchased the wires as headpins from Melody of Soul of Somanya, a non-profit organization bringing employment skills to the Ghanian people of Krobo. They also produce beautiful recycled glass beads which are hand-painted with intricate designs (which I hope to share in future designs). Melody also has a second shop on Etsy.

Normally, I would never dream of cutting up an artisan headpin, but I was inspired to use the design portion of one set as charms, with another set which I formed into ear-wires. I love the juxtaposition of ancient with modern, organic against bright and funky, and elements both near and far.

Make sure to drop by the Art Jewelry Elements' Pinterest board for lots of amazing earring designs!




8 comments:

  1. These are fantastic! I love the charm, especially it's meaning .... what a wonderful sentiment for Mother's Day! There is nothing that 'transforms' who you are more than becoming a parent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day Monique! These sure are fun - indeed I did recognize the discs right off. Perfect colourful earrings for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are fantastic!!! So very colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these colorful earrings!!! What fun earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, those are so cute!!! Love the colors :) And guess what! I made earrings with similar black and white beads for a swap, I will be posting those on the 20th.

    Happy Mom's Day, Mon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these earrings! Your colorful beads paired with Ghanaian Adrinka symbols are so unique. Would love to see more of your creations with beads from Ghana, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...