Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Week 20 of the AJE Earring Challenge: Exotic Woods, African Glass

Pin It

Another week has come and gone, and it is time to share a new pair of earrings for the Art Jewelry Elements Earring Challenge. As promised on a previous post, this week I am featuring the hand-crafted recycled glass beads sold by Soul of Somanya, a non-profit sharing the work of the people of Ghana in West Africa. These Krobo beads are the result of a labour-intensive process which includes crushing the recycled glass to a fine powder, molding in hand-made forms, firing in a traditional clay oven, and meticulously hand-painting each bead.



Unique and colourful Krobo beads from Soul of Somanya


My design also features wooden beads from the Philippines, 28 mm Graywood donuts and 16 mm flat squares of Old Palm wood. They are strung on 1 mm Spring Green waxed cotton cord. Silver-filled ear-wires, also handmade by Soul of Somanya







The earrings can be reversed for a slightly different look, with the cording mostly hidden (shown on right below).





You can also find Soul of Somanya at their Etsy store and on Facebook.

Cording from Dragonfly's Supplies. Wooden beads from The Beady Eye.

***Make sure to check often for new earring designs at the AJE Pinterest board.***

Today is the biweekly AJE blog hop.To follow, click on any link:




8 comments:

  1. oh those are awesome! and what an interesting technique ... hand painted? wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely earrings...I'm very partial to tribal designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ya, I love those!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! I really like the way you used the cording and placed the African beads within the hoops. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beads are gorgeous and so are your earrings! I can't belive we are nearly half way into the challenge already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, the beads are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...