Translate

Saturday, June 22, 2013

ABS Challenge for June Bracelet Design

Pin It

*(For the AJE Earring Challenge post, click here.)* 

Yay! After some time unable/uninspired to participate, I was so pleased when this month's Art Bead Scene challenge painting spoke to me. Please click on the link for more information on this early 20th century work by the Canadian Group of Seven artist, Franklin Carmichael.


Jackknife Village, 1926
Franklin Carmichael
Watercolor on Paper
(Please note this art is copyrighted and is to be used 
only as inspiration.)

Paintings which show the water are very special to me as a descendant of fishermen here in Eastern Canada. When I survey Carmichael's watercolour, I imagine life in these many coastal communities, very often quite isolated, which can be found in many parts of the world. They have in common a healthy respect for the sea from which come their livelihoods. In this inspiration painting I was primarily impressed with the somewhat brooding aspect of the land, sea and sky. The very dark land mass near the center, with the little houses all huddled together as if facing off against the natural elements.






Along with some black snowflake obsidian, purple crazy agate, sandstone Picasso Czech glass, striped purple shell squares and tourmaline, I found several art beads which fit with the craggy landscape, primitive buildings and maritime theme.





An unglazed pendant "Ships in the Night" from Nancy of Round Rabbit; little wood fired miniature house bead from Szilvia of elukka, purple etched rustic lampwork beads by Julie of Indian Creek Art Glass (Outwest) and pale yellow discs created by Marsha, MarshaNealStudio.






I hope you will browse other jewelry creations inspired by this month's inspiration painting at the Art Bead Scene flickr site.


3 comments:

  1. such a great piece Monique! I LOVE the nautical twist to this, and the inclusion of the little house ... makes me think of the southern coast of England, or perhaps Nova Scotia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so nice. I love the elements you've put together, and I like how you've made that clever clasp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique votre collier est magnifique. Je l'adore, il représente l'essence et l'esprit du tableau de cet admirable peintre Canadien. La conception du fermoir avec un intercalaire est une idée géniale.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...