Translate

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Darkness and Light

Pin It

Welcome to my reveal for the Black and White Jewelry Design Challenge, the brain child of Sally Russick of The Studio Sublime. Thirty-six bloggers have created original wearables in high-contrast black and white.

My first design features a polymer clay focal created from an original, hand-carved stamp by Stephanie Galea of extase. I loved the result so much that I made an extra one for an exchange with a friend in Springfield, Massachusetts (Hi, Linda, the goofy guy on the right is going in your box!):





I created some more PC beads. This was a chance for me to experiment with a few new techniques. On the left are my variation on Rebekah Payne's faceted crackle technique (well, mine ended up looking like marble, but that's O.K.) The other beads on the right are some black tubes, pre-baked, to which I added thin white tubes and textured them to look like little bones. I was aiming for a "floating" effect; I am somewhat pleased with the effect:





So this is the start of a necklace strung on mousetail. I think I am going to keep experimenting with the bead placement, necklace length I want, etc., but with Sally's encouragement I am sharing the WIP:




I also had these pretty Indonesian dyed, hand-carved bone components from yukidesigns. With some silver-filled decorative (is this cheating, Sally?) headpins from Soul of Somanya I found them sufficiently dramatic for an uncomplicated earring design:





Thanks for visiting...

Now check out all these creative bloggers:

**OUR FEARLESS LEADER**
Sally Russick  thestudiosublime

*YOU ARE Monique Urquhart  ahalfbakednotion HERE*

Patti Vanderbloemen myaddictionshandcrafted
Veralynne Malone  veradesigns
Duane Clark  biz-e-bead
D Lynne Bowland  islandgirlsinsights
Michelle Buettner  misheldesigns
Pam Sears  crazycreativecorner
Therese Frank  theresestreasures
Dawn Doucette  designsbydawnmarie
Nicole Rennell  nicolerennell
Cynthia Machata  antiquitytravelers
Alice Peterson  alicedreaming
Carolyn Lawson  carolynscreations
Evelyn Shelby  raindropcreationsbyevelyn
Alisa Cordner  bramalfiebeadsetc
Michelle Escano  cabbycraft
Mischelle Fanucchi  micheladasmusings
Jess Green  tabbiekoshka
Adrienne Berry  acreativeforce
Lynsey Brooks  lynseybrooksjewellery
Kashmira Patel  sadafulee
Ann Schroeder  beadlove
Marlene Cupo  amazingdesigns-marlene
Susan F.  libellulajewelry
Susan Kennedy  suebeads
Kathy Lindemer  bay-moon-design
Paula Kramer  cavecreekbeads
Lisa Johnson  whimsyswonders
Sandi Volpe  sandivolpe
Donna Bradley  strandedbeads
Karin Slaton  backstorybeads
Jasvanti Patel  jewelrybyjasvanti
Stefanie Teufel  stefaniessammelsurium
Liz Engriser  beadcontagion
Christine Altmiller  onekisscreations


32 comments:

  1. Oh Monique what a tribal beauty. Working in black and white seems to do well with us polymer clayers. This was a fun hop for me, hope you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I love the little tikki guys! Some days, I just want to sit around and stick my tongue out, too! How fun. And, I don't think the earrings were cheating at all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i love the goofy guy, tell him i am sticking my tongue right back at him! And I like the marbles too. Love both the designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! I love the necklace those beads are fantastic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tribal face pendant and necklace, it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on making focal and beads. Your necklace is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your beads are gorgeous! I especially love the marbled/crackled beads...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pieces! I love the beads and pendant you created!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monique, these beads you made are gorgeous! Your polymer always makes me take notice. What an absolutely wonderfully funky vibe you have in your jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your unique handmade polymer beads. And I like what you have going on with them in your WIP necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, how cool are your beads! I really love the Bohemian jive I get from them. Great job!

    Vera
    http://veradesigns.blogspot.com/2013/07/black-white-jewelry-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your 'floating bones' beads. I think you achieved the effect nicely Monique. I love the earrings too! As much as I like over the top jewelry, I do love the simplicity of those! So much fun!
    {Hugs!}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monique! What a very cool design!! And the PC beads you made are fantastic! The earrings are wonderful and using a little silver to accent things is not cheating at all! :) You did good!! I love the organic feel of the necklace and I bet it feels great on! Thank you so much for participating in the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the marbled beads. And the floating bone beads. Love the black and white pendant, too. Oh, and the earrings. Love them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool vibe, Miss Monique! I like the Tiki man. But he looks like he could put a hex on you if you are not careful! ;-) Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your focal piece turned out beautifully Monique, and is perfect with the b & w beads that you created. I also love your earrings and think you were very clever to utilize the fancy headpins, turning them into marvelous earring hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a petroglyph from Easter island! Lovely and your link is working now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your floating bones beads are so creative - beyond fabulous, as is that focal. I love this piece in progress and can't wait to see where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are super cool!! Love your beads and the necklace you made is awesome. I'm in love w/your earrings, too - those are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Monique, How I wish I had the polymer clay gene. Your work is amazing. Love the tribal focal. It will certainly inspire creativity for its intended recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The crackled white with some black beads are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Monique, I love the tribal pendant in the black and white and in the brown tones. The beads you created are awesome I love the marble ones and the floating bone ones go fantastic with the pendant.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your polymer beads are really great! That tribal pendent is so fun and interesting I'd be tempted to make it in a bunch of different colors. I can just see it now in terra cotta . . .

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your "goofy guy" necklace. I think your necklace is my favorite from this hop. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So so beautiful, love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, those are amazing, thanks for sharing the WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! where to begin? first I love how you created the focal beads ... perfectly tribal! and then accent beads too? just gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Although I'm seriously late in getting around to this blog hop, I definitely wanted to comment on your post, Monique...Love, love the carved, tribal focal and beads! Such wonderful use of the positive and negative space in each bead. And while Mr. Tongue is pretty awesome, I'm most taken with the earrings!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...