Translate

Saturday, August 31, 2013

AJE August 2013 COM Reveal

Pin It


Last month I took a chance and threw my name in for a Component of the Month on the Art Jewelry Elements blog. Each month one of the contributors has a turn distributing a set of their own handmade components, and August was Melissa Meman's turn to offer her "Molten Morsels". You can read about her creative process on this post. I was beyond thrilled when Melissa let me know my name had been drawn at random!  




Before I received my Morsel, I thought about using some Vintaj patinas to add a little colour. When I saw how pretty and elegant my butterfly looked in its delicate antiquing, I decided to use it as is. It is such a great size and classic look, this is one of those times I had many more design ideas and had to pick JUST ONE!


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty."

Maya Angelou

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Butterfly Armour"



I wire-wrapped some earthy lamp-work beads by Julianna Cannon in 20g brass wire, then strung them on 8mm double curb chain in gunmetal. I was looking for a touch of drama while playing on the contrast in Melissa's component. For neck comfort and a little extra length, I made a short fabric-covered cord in coordinating colours. (I guess even in an über-metal design I can't resist a little fiber LOL.) My necklace is about 27" so I can slip it on easily.

Melissa, thanks for including me in this month's blog hop... I had a great time! *UPDATE: Since you asked, Melissa, this is the back of the pendant with the embedded rings!*





You can also read Melissa Meman's blog Art. Life. Love., and check out her Etsy shop, Melismatic Art Jewelry, where she sells enameled components and rosaries, in addition to her own line of jewelry.

Check out the rest of the participants for the AJE Component of the Month blog hop for August 2013:

AJE Contributors
Melissa Meman   Art. Life. Love.
Jennifer Cameron   Glass Addictions
Jenny Davies-Reazor   Jenny Davies-Reazor 
Francesca Watson   Francesca Watson Designs 
Kristen Stevens   My Bead Journey 
Lesley Watt   The Gossiping Goddess
(apparently Lesley's morsel is AWOL in the mail)
Sue Kennedy   Sue Beads
         

Guests
Perri Jackson   Shaktipaj Designs
Hope Smitherman   Crafty Hope
Monique Urquhart   A Half-Baked Notion

21 comments:

  1. Melissa-Your design is wonderful. I think adding some fiber to the look is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely design, I love the fiber and the beautiful Lampwork beads you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique, I love your elegant necklace! The length is great and I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a work of art! this is beautiful Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the same thing about adding patinas for color. But you are right. They are perfect! The texture begs to be touched. Very nicely done! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love the lampwork beads and the fabric covered neck strap. Everything works so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me kinda wish I had gone with a little more simple design as yours is just fabulous. I like that Melissa's beautiful morsel really stands out in your design and gets to be the star of the show. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love every inch of your necklace - the double curb chain adds such a nice weight to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monique, this is such a beautiful piece - I love the idea of fabric around the neck (as I am allergic to base metals), the lampwork is just gorgeous, so is the butterfly components, and the double chain is so perfectly balancing the whole piece! Love it - it is indeed, the star of the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, my! Monique, that is beautiful. I love the butterfly, but I really like what you did with it. The chain is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mon, thanks so much for participating! I absolutely love how you incorporated my Morsel into such a wonderful design! I have a hard time using fiber/textiles in my jewelry and admire those who incorporate it so naturally! I am curious as to how you added the loops for the chain on component? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great necklace design. I'm so impressed that you can make your own cording. I love the fact that you added polymer clay to the back of the pendant. Such creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As my daughter in law says: Omagerd! I love the fiber, and the beads, and *especially* how you chose to include the connectors by embedding them! The palette is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monique, your design is just beautiful. I admire Melissa's metal and wire work, and especially in your talented hands. The addition of the fiber for ease of wearing and to add additional length was a brilliant one. The back detail is so clever as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - love the necklace and the clever way you connected the pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this is just awesome. Love the neat way you added some fiber, would be so great for someone with metal allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a fantastic job with your butterfly. I like the gunmetal curb chain, really sets all the components off. And I love the fiber/wrapped cord for the back of the neck. Very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your design is so full of texture and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry I am sooo late! I love the color palette, and the simplicity. I adore the comfortable-ness of the fiber as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me again - Nice embedded rings, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh! I came here to make sure your link was right for the art charm exchange and saw this. I can't believe I never made it here to see your lovely creation! You really let Melissa's component shine with your beautiful design. Thank you so much for participating and for reading AJE!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...