Translate

Saturday, December 14, 2013

♪ Waiting for the Baby ♫

Pin It



Christmas is so close now... today Hubby brought in our tree. Every year he orders a tree from people he knows well, so as to be certain it is legally grown and cut, and to support the local growers. It was supposed to be "around 6 feet tall". Well, someone was feeling generous: our LITTLE tree is well over nine feet LOL, so  a bit of judicious trimming with the reciprocating saw was required. But every year we put it in the stand and remark, "It's the best one ever!"

I've been slacking off the jewelry-making but exercising my creativity in the kitchen. We are VERY restrained when it comes to gift-giving. Even when the four boys were young, the tradition of Christmas presents was conscientiously controlled, lest it become a monster. The one place where we do allow a bit of extra spending is on our special Christmas food. Over the years we have narrowed the sweets to our five favorites, and the closest family, friends and neighbors receive trays as seasonal gifts.



Gumdrop cake, turtle bars, shortbreads,
peanut butter "cups", and marshmallow squares.


This is my sister's tray, ready for pickup. She gets the "perpetual tray" option: when it is empty she can return it for refills ad infinitum. Looking forward to Christmas dinner at your house, Sis!

This year, I have been enjoying a wonderful selection of carols over on Alicia's blog. She has shared several beautiful traditional Romanian colinde; do have a listen if you haven't yet had a chance! I promised Alicia I would share a few of my favorite chants de Noël in my first language, which is French. I have read that in modern France, Christmas music is not that big a deal... but here in Acadie (the French-speaking parts of Maritime Canada), we love our traditional carols. Here is one that always tugs on my heartstrings, as it sounds like the most gentle lullaby. The chorus translates:


  This Child, the most beautiful of children,
    Calls to you with joy and elation
      To His cradle, to His cradle,
       Bring the gifts of tenderness.
       To His cradle, to His cradle,
       Bring the gifts of tenderness.






L'Enfant, des enfants le plus beau,
Vous appelle avec allégresse
À son berceau, à son berceau,
Portez les dons de la tendresse.
À son berceau, à son berceau,

Portez les dons de la tendresse.


There are many professional recordings of this carol which are musically "perfect", but I chose this charming version because I connect with its live performance by soloist and choir, accompanied by pianist. It is most similar to what we sing every year at Midnight Mass. The slide show of the cutest crèches (mangers), made by children for a Sunday School project, is a touching bonus. (Thank you Youtube uploader "Impactsupporter"; if I knew the name of your choir I would love to give you credit for this beautiful performance.)

If you have a favorite Christmas carol in any language I would love to listen to it on your blog. Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! I wish I was one of those neighbours that would receive that tray of goodies. It looks sooooo delicious! That is a beautiful song. I've never heard it before. I do have a seasonal favourite, which I will share on my blog in the next few days. That's all I'll say for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, I wish I was your neighbour! I can't bake much... although I try every year :) But I can cook - and we do cook for Christmas!
    Yet another wonderful carol (I started bottom down :) ) - I'm glad you're sharing your favourites! Love them - love Christmas - love almost everything!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...