Translate

Saturday, January 11, 2014

May the Forest Be With You

Pin It



Hello, and welcome to my reveal for the Into the Forest Blog Hop, hosted by Lisa Lodge of A Grateful Artist/Pine Ridge Treasures. Late last summer, Lisa offered creative kits filled with beautiful assorted beads specially chosen to challenge and inspire. I received a gorgeous lime and olive green mixture:



When I think of forests, I immediately see rain-forest... I was also inspired, not by a photo, but by some quilting cotton in my stash:




Y'all know I LOVE fibre, and any excuse to employ it in jewelry design; but I was disappointed to find my sewing machine very disagreeable to the prospect (overworked and long overdue for a maintenance appointment). I regretfully put aside the strips of colourful fabric I had cut and decided to get back to basics with some straightforward stringing (a technique I seldom use but enjoy very much).

Here is a 26" slip-on necklace I call Amazon Midnight:





**I apologize for the photo quality. It seems my technology is not in love with me right now, and the feeling is mutual :(*




I could talk at length about my love/hate relationship with seed beads. They were a lovely adjunct when I was doing cross-stitch... now more like a reminder of failing eyesight :( However, I DID manage to string the little darlings, adding some of my old stock of seeds and bugles, randomly aligned, recalling the varied muted shades of an equatorial forest. This lariat style necklace/bracelet I have named Forest as Medicine, a nod to the many seads, pods, leaves, etc., harvested for use as life-giving therapies, often adapted from traditional remedies:



**P.S. Take THAT, seed beads!**


And, of course, we must have a couple of earrings :) These will be part of my donation to Amy Freeland's 100 Pairs 100 Days in support of the beautiful Ears to You organization, providing much-needed morale boosters to women undergoing cancer treatments.




************************************************************************ 

In closing I would like to share the words of an American-born nun who chose to live in solidarity with the poor of Brazil, helping peasants make a living by farming small plots and extracting forest products without deforestation, while protecting them from criminal gangs working on behalf of ranchers who were after their land: 

"A Morte da floresta é o fim da nossa vida" which is Portuguese for "The death of the forest is the end of our life." 

In 2005 her support for the poor of her adopted country would lead to the end of her own life, when she was murdered to silence her powerful and influential advocacy. Her words are a chilling reminder that the loss of our precious forests may indeed be the end of all life.


RIP Sr. Dorothy Stang


************************************************************************

Here are the other artists who have chosen to reveal the many beauties of our forests:


Your hostess:  Lisa Lodge, A Grateful Artist
Melissa Trudinger, Bead Recipes
Kathy Zeigler Lindemer, Bay Moon Design
Eleanor Burian Moore, The Charmed Life 
  Jo-Ann Woolverton, It's a Beadiful Creation
Chris Eisenberg, Wanderware

 Christine Stonefield, Sweet Girl Design
Carolyn Lawson, Carolyn's Creations
Janine Lucas, Esfera Travel Blog
Jasvanti Patel, Jewelry by Jasvanti
Shaiha Williams,   Shaiha's Ramblings
Kay Thomerson, Kayz Kreationz
Karla Morgan, Texas Pepper Jams
Veralynne Malone, Designed by Vera
Toltec  Jewels, Jewel School Friends
Christie Searle Murrow, Charis Designs Jewelry
Molly Alexander, Beautifully Broken Me
Monique Urquhart (YEP, THAT'S ME) A Half-Baked Notion
Janet Bocciardi, Honey from the Bee
Dini Bruinsma, Angaza by Changes
Heather Richter, Desert Jewelry Designs
Christina Miles, Wings n Scales
Elizabeth Engriser, Bead Contagion
Alice Peterson, Alice Dreaming
Alicia Marinache, All the Pretty Things
Catherine Yvonne King, Catherine's Musings
Alice Craddick, Alice's Beads and Baubles
Ema Kilroy, Ema KDesigns

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...