Translate

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Upcoming CC7A Blog Hop January 26

Pin It


Today I'd like to share my inspiration for an upcoming blog hop event, specially created by the gracious Alicia Marinache of All the Pretty Things. Back in October, Alicia proposed a small group of us exchange components and choose themes for a friendly design challenge. After a remarkably quick and intense bit of brainstorming by email, the The Creative Continuum of Seven Artists (CC7A) was born. You will find Alicia's introduction of the artists at her blog link above. 

We have set the monthly reveals on the 26th of each month, from January to July. My components, and the pieces made from them by the members, will be unveiled in two weeks,  Sunday, January 26, 2014.




As I have long admired Alicia's beautiful wirework and unique designs, and I love reading the wonderful stories and positive reflections on her blog (not to mention MUSIC). I am also a fan of the other amazing designers in our little group. Unlike the other members, I create beads and jewelry ONLY as craft "therapy", for my own enjoyment and for friends. The others in the "CC7A" group are all successful artisans who sell their work. I am beyond thrilled that Alicia sought to include me, and extremely excited (also a bit nervous) to see what the ladies have created using the components I sent them :)

This is a link to the National Gallery of Canada's Artists, Architects, Artisans: Canadian Art 1890–1918 exhibit, where I initially started searching for inspiration. The video is a short overview by Charles C. Hill, Curator of Canadian Art.

"The exhibition will explore how architecture, monumental sculpture, urban planning, mural and decorative painting, graphic design, decorative arts and photography came together in Canada during these prosperous decades."





Don't you want to offer Mr. Hill some beads for his MANY ear hoops? I know I did :)


My curiosity was piqued by the room glimpsed at 1:30 in the video, and I set about learning a bit about it. Flavelle House was built in 1902 by Sir Joseph Flavelle (1858-1939), a Canadian businessman and philanthropist. The photo below shows the Great Hall; it has a ceiling featuring four angels by immigrant muralist Gustav Hahn. Flavelle House is actually used daily by students at the University of Toronto Law School (it stands on U of T land and was donated to them in 1940).





It is the wood design which truly draws me in. I have always loved wood textures, as my father was an amateur woodworker and I recall with pleasure the sights, sounds and even smells of cut wood. I naturally wanted to create a design in polymer clay, my favorite medium, and chose a couple of PC techniques by Cindy Lietz  to create some pendants/cabochon for use in jewelry.

Here are the focals I sent, one to each of the CC7A ladies... I'm not sure who has what, as I placed them in envelopes with intentional randomness :)



Pendants/cabochon from polymer clay in faux burl wood
and adorned with faux abalone/paua. 


*Here are links to information about the tutorials by Cindy Lietz, for faux burl wood and faux abalone/paua*


In keeping with my wood theme, I also included actual wood beads in various types.




I sent along a few extras and alternative focals in micro-mosaic, but those will stay secret until the reveal date (I'll just say the focals have something to do with a certain event in February LOL).

I hope you will join with Alicia, Christine, Cynthia, Emma, Sally, Therese and I on January 26th, as we reveal the first round of creations by the Creative Continuum of Seven Artists. See you then!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...