Translate

Sunday, April 06, 2014

The Color of Dreams Blog Hop

Pin It





Welcome to the Color of Dreams blog hop! Each participant was gifted a beautiful and colourful handmade polymer clay bead made by Patricia Handschuh of The Color of DreamsHere is a description of our design challenge, as voiced by our hostess and giver of gifts, Rita of Jewel School Friends: 

"Feel free to create in any way you wish, using your bead as inspiration for your colorway, theme, technique. You are welcome to use additional Color of Dreams beads in your design, as well as artisan beads and gems and anything you like. You are not limited to jewelry.


You may share a dream that has come true, one you are working on now, or one you hope for in the future. The one goal of the hop: we'll focus on our dreams as entirely possible, with the idea, "If we can dream it, we can achieve it." So, try creating "from the end" -- as if your dream has already come true -- using your jewelry design to do so."

Thank you, Rita, for creating this lovely blog hop for all the dreamers!





Like many folks of a certain "vintage", I am often tempted to think that my dreams are a thing of the past. As a child, I wanted to visit the stars, to explore this planet and to experience the big events of our world. Then as I matured, my hopes became more "realistic": to find a career where I could thrive (failed); to stay home to raise my children (mostly succeeded); to keep music in my life (success!). I had more-or-less relegated dreaming to the past.






Yet, in my fifties, I have rediscovered the joy of learning new skills, the pleasure of creating a little beauty and the satisfaction of sharing it with new like-minded friends. I have also found a great community that supports and cheers other members as a matter of course. I "found" the internet and I haven't looked back! I am NOT a person who seeks change or growth, but they have found me, and the process of reinventing myself has been profound, humbling and exhilarating. 





You may have guessed that I have chosen a motif? What is a more appropriate expression of change and growth than the miracle of metamorphosis? I selected some simple butterfly-shaped howlite beads, which I love, to complement the lovely colours of Patricia's bead, and fashioned some simple barrel-shaped extruder beads to match them:





The star of the show... a beautiful bead handmade by Patricia Handschuh. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with the world, Patricia. The bead I received is as pretty on either side:






I am now wearing this simple and comfortable bracelet as a reminder to keep dreaming. Will there be more to come when I enter my seventh decade? Change and growth seem inevitable and less frightening to me now. They are a precious gift carried on the wings of our dreams.







Now here is a list of the artists willing to share what they have dreamed:


Honorary Artist: Patricia Handschuh
Patricia's blog   The Color of Dreams
Patricias Etsy   The Color of Dreams
Hostess: TJ   Jewel School Friends
Kay Thomerson    KayzKreationz
Audrey Belanger    Toki No Hourousha
Alicia Marinache    All the Pretty Things
Terry Carter    TappingFlamingo
Jayne Capps    Mama's Got To Doodle
Lori Schneider    Bead Addict
Jenny Kyrlach    Wonder and Whimsy
Asri Wahyuingsih    Asri's Beadwork
Dini Bruinsma    Angaza by Changes
Karla Morgan    Texas Pepper Jams
Debbie Rasmussen    A Little of This, A Little of That
Veralynne Malone    Designed by Vera                     
Kathy Stemke    Vintage Memories Jewelry Design
Mowse Doyle    Mowse Made This
Heather Richter    Desert Jewelry Designs
Lori Poppe    Adventures in Creativity with LorilliJean
Andrea Glick    Zenith Jade Creations
Kathleen Breeding     99 Bottles of Beads on the Wall
Becky Pancake    Becky Pancake Bead Designs
Karen Martinez    Fairies Market
Penny Houghton    Smelly Nelly
Miranda Ackerley    Mirandack  
Carolyn Lawson     Carolyn's Creations
Chris Eisenberg    Wanderware
Christie Murrow     Charis Designs Jewelry
***ME***Monique Urquhart    A Half-Baked Notion***ME***
Eve Shelby     Raindrop Creations Jewelry by Evelyn
Cryss Thain    Here Bead Dragons
Jasvanti Patel    Jewelry By Jasvanti
Nan Smith    NanMade Handmade Jewelry
Sue Kennedy    SueBeads
Jean Yates    Snap Out of It, Jean! There's Beading to be Done!
Debbie Rogers    Debbies Treasures
Marybeth  Rich    A Few Words From Within the Pines
Shirley Moore    Beads and Bread
Shaiha Williams    Shaiha's Ramblings
Kathy Lindemer    Bay Moon Design
Linda Anderson    From the Bead Board
Judy Turner    Silver Rains
Gloria Allen    Gloria Allen Designs
Regina Wood    Ginas-Design
Robin Reed     Artistry HCBD
*Mary Goovars     MLH Jewelry Designs    (please visit after Wednesday, April 9)*
Marlene Cupo     Amazing Designs
CJ Bauschka     4 His Glory Creations

Robin Showstack   The Crazy Bead Hoarder
Cynthia O'Tool  
Sparkles and Sweets
Jael Thorp    Jael's Art Jewels
Renetha Stanziano  Lamplight Crafts

*Direct links to the pertinent post will be added as I visit each blog*

34 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Monique. I love your dream of metamorphosis, something we all experience throughout our lives and it is a beautiful thing! Your bracelet is lovely . So colourful and cheerful! ( note the Cdn. spelling!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. You and I are similar in that we both found jewelry design late in life. We are both growing and changing. I LOVE your bracelet. It's so colorful and fun, like spring itself. I'm a new follower of your blog. Kathy
    http://vintagememoriesjewelry.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-color-of-dreams-blog-hop-reveal.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow your butterfly shots with the quotes are just awesome. That bracelet is pretty cool looking too, so colorful and I love the butterfly beads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally gorgeous and great colourplay! :) jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. You MADE beads to match! Wow! I like this and your dream!
    MieandAck.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. You've done a great job of complimenting and yet letting Patricia's bead still shine.It's so colorful and full of life! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to what you say about reinventing yourself. I did that after I retired and haven't looked back. Your bracelet is very well done. All of the butterflies are beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful - you know I love your 'matching-the-focal' skills :) the piece perfectly showcases both Patricia's lovely bead, and your idea of metamorphosis. I am glad you found the power to re-invent yourself, I found that skill being essential to well-being. Learning is (as you know) an important part of my life, it's always been, and hopefully it will always be that way - keeps one's mind young and ageless!
    Keep dreaming, my friend, and use these bold and energizing colours when you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monique your bracelet is lovely. The idea of metamorphosis being the inspiration for your piece is great. We all go through several changes in our lives and it is a perfect metaphor. Your post is wonderful. I just found out last week that a butterfly is one of my totem creatures so I was instantly attracted to your bracelet. I too found jewelery making at an older age and I am very glad that I did. Keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Monique!
    Big Hugs
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great bracelet! I also loved the post. Yeah I remember my dreams of when I was young. They were much more fantastical then my dreams now yet they were as valid as my practical ones of my fifth decade.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect! That is all I can say...! Perfect! Great job and thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that is beautiful! You've done an amazing job matching colours with your beautiful extruded barrels. And the butterflies are perfect. Perfect bracelet to remind us all to keep dreaming :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely bracelet and I also love the way you write your post or story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your bracelet. I'm still playing around with my extruder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a great looking bracelet, love the butterflies.
    ~cryssT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Had to come back to see your creation, wow Monique amazing bracelet and so very unusual, you picked some interesting beads and lovely colours to match up with the bead you were sent. I love the butterfly theme running through your post, they are such beautiful creatures.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Monique ~ this is a happy, bold, bright piece! Wear it well and Dream On!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful bracelet, so colorful and bright. What joy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your post is truly lovely and inspirational. I adore the bracelet you created using Patricia Handschuh's amazing bead. Your creation is fresh, alive and wonderfully colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the butterflys are STUNNING with this piece! how beautiful and creative! so proud of you for continuing to dream, even as you get older.... it's so important to keep dreaming and striving for new goals in life!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Monique you are such an inspiration to me! I've saved all your butterfly pictures to my computer! I hope you don't mind :) Your bracelet is fabulous!!!! It calls to mind dreams past but also dreams future! Keep dreaming, it's good for the soul & will keep you young at heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Monique - I love your bracelet- the colors are so happy and pretty. The beads that you made to go with are great and I love those butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is just so Happy it make s me smile!!! Love it! Thank you so much for the smile!!! Have a Great and Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I marvel over the bright and cheery colors and the butterflies are just the right touch. You captured the beauty of your bead. LOVE THIS A LOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great story. I love butterflies and everything they represent and what the caterpillar goes through to become the beauty it is. Your bracelet is wonderful. Love all the color and joy in it. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have come back to this post many times this week, Monique. It's amazing! I'm reminded of who I am, all we can be -- both comforted and inspired by your words and the immense beauty here that you've created and so graciously and generously shared. Your words, your photography, your uplifting message and intention, your dream -- you are THE STAR of the show! Your jewelry art is incredible -- you are incredible. I love the colorway, the howlite butterflies, the theme of change, the promise of courage in change. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us all. To paraphrase your poetic words, you've given us a precious gift carried on the wings of your dreams. I'm so very honored you are a part of this special hop. Bravo! Outstanding! May you wear your beautiful reminder in great joy, not only for all of life's gifts and dreams, but joy in knowing your wonderful worth, your infinite value and your amazing presence in the world. xxoo Rita

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post! I really like the bracelet and how you embraced the orphan bead. Acceptance means growth - you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an amazing design, with colours everywhere! Especially this part of your text made me smile: "... but they have found me, and the process of reinventing myself has been profound, humbling and exhilarating". So special when that happens to a person! Have a beautiful future!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love love your bracelet and your beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your post and your piece, and the meaning behind it all. You show me that it is never too late to learn, and I am humbled. Sorry this comment took so long, this week has been a little heretic.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is wonderful and so creative! Love the colors and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...