Translate

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Polymer Clay Challenge Week 7

Pin It


*Still hopping for the GROW YOUR BLOG 2015? Click here please*

Hello everyone! I fell victim to the winter flu season and have been under the weather for the past few weeks, but I'm hoping that is done, so I can start being creative again (not that I particularly cared about that while ill!) So as near as I can figure, this would be Week 7 (but someone can correct me if needs be). 

**I thought I had posted this last night, but apparently I missed the step of hitting that PUBLISH button**

For Week 7 of Katie Oskin's polymer clay challenge, I am continuing on my quest to use canes I have been collecting or neglecting. This is the case for a very specialized cane I made for a blog hop back in September 2012, for Erin Prais-Hintz's Challenge of Travel. The design came from satellite imagery of the African continent. I loved my Africa cane, but whenever I picked it up afterwards, I was utterly uninspired.



Slightly distorted cane end. Kindly ignore the wrinkles!


Enter the "Natasha" method. Not sure which Natasha this is named for, but she did the PC world a solid:



Beads #1 and #2



Each side of these four beads display a unique mirror image, formed by cutting lengthwise twice and inverting all the inner surfaces to the outside. The final shape is of a four-sided prism surmounted by a four-sided pyramid on each end. I've searched in vain for the "official" name of this 3-D shape... if there are any geometric wizards out there, I'd love to know. Otherwise I may have to make up a name for these. Which could be fun :)



Beads #3 and #4


The pendant was also a quickie method: take a length of cane, torture it a bit to distort, form into triangle, cut, cut, cut... and voila, instant (if very basic) kaleidoscope design:






A very loooong (30"+) necklace design with copper rolo chain. Lately I have been working a lot in sterling, but copper will always hold a special place in my heart :)





Hope to see everyone next week for Week 8 of our challenge (barring more illness, of course)!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the cane before and after. I'll follow you through the Polymer Challenge. How delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better and always very interesting to see what you make

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Very pretty and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the patterns in the beads. So beautiful! What a gorgeous necklace!

    Sorry to hear you were ill, but glad you are feeling better.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry you were feeling under the weather but glad you are feeling better. Very nice creations! I love making Natasha beads...they are so much fun! Lovely necklace!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...