Translate

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Polymer Clay Challenge Week 15

Pin It


For Week 15 of Katie Oskin's polymer clay challenge, I am using an old/new technique. It's one of those methods that pops up regularly it seems. I saw it when I first started going online a few years ago (around 2011, I think), on the blog of Violette Laporte,  one of the Quebec-based founders of the Canadian Polymer Clay group, Clayamies. Vio hasn't been active on this blog for some time, but it is still a source of great design ideas and entertaining bilingual commentary. More recently, Vio has been busy on Pinterest, being, as she puts it, "the curator of my own virtual museum".

Here is my first experiment:




I first cleaned the metal with rubbing alcohol, lightly painted the wing areas with Lisa Pavelka Polybonder glue, backed the wings with a medium-thin layer of translucent/pearl Kato, then trimmed off the extra clay. I chose a rainbow set of Alcohol inks and painted the "cells". I then removed all but a very thin layer of the clay from the back of the pendant, hoping the clay would become semi-transparent once baked.


Some messy steps and the finished product: not as
transparent as I had hoped. Next time I'll use just
translucent clay for a more "stained glass" look.


I am always on the lookout for this kind of component, one with lots of small, open areas for polymer insertions. I had ordered these butterfly shapes a couple of weeks ago, hoping to have them for our Butterfly Blog Hop this past weekend. Unfortunately they just arrived yesterday. For another interesting way to use them, please check Kathy's post (I think hers are the same basic component or very similar).

See everyone real soon!

8 comments:

  1. I really love your butterfly. The colors are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool Monique! I love how you've created this piece with such color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love how this turned out! Great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely butterfly Monique. I did this for a Christi Friesen swap on her Yahoo group way back with a vintage butterfly but used a shaded clay it was not very translucent but looked pretty, you have inspired me to make another one!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely butterfly Monique, really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The butterfly is as pretty as a rainbow, Monique. I think it sad that the public often has no idea about all the different steps and all the work that goes into creating a beautiful piece such as your butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a really fabulous technique and results!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...