For Week 15 of Katie Oskin's polymer clay challenge, I am using an old/new technique. It's one of those methods that pops up regularly it seems. I saw it when I first started going online a few years ago (around 2011, I think), on the blog of Violette Laporte, one of the Quebec-based founders of the Canadian Polymer Clay group, Clayamies. Vio hasn't been active on this blog for some time, but it is still a source of great design ideas and entertaining bilingual commentary. More recently, Vio has been busy on Pinterest, being, as she puts it, "the curator of my own virtual museum".
Here is my first experiment:
I first cleaned the metal with rubbing alcohol, lightly painted the wing areas with Lisa Pavelka Polybonder glue, backed the wings with a medium-thin layer of translucent/pearl Kato, then trimmed off the extra clay. I chose a rainbow set of Alcohol inks and painted the "cells". I then removed all but a very thin layer of the clay from the back of the pendant, hoping the clay would become semi-transparent once baked.
|Some messy steps and the finished product: not as|
transparent as I had hoped. Next time I'll use just
translucent clay for a more "stained glass" look.
I am always on the lookout for this kind of component, one with lots of small, open areas for polymer insertions. I had ordered these butterfly shapes a couple of weeks ago, hoping to have them for our Butterfly Blog Hop this past weekend. Unfortunately they just arrived yesterday. For another interesting way to use them, please check Kathy's post (I think hers are the same basic component or very similar).
See everyone real soon!