Translate

Friday, May 15, 2015

Polymer Clay Challenge Week 19

Pin It


I have been mostly MIA for the past few weeks. Hubby is newly retired (Yay!) and we are having splendid negotiations about the "home front" LOL.

For Week 19 of Katie Oskin's polymer clay challenge, I did a super-easy project. Faux-turquoise:




Like the pic? Our hostas are just breaking ground and it is a beautiful sunny day (they are few and far between), so I thought I would take a rare outdoor piccy. 

A good friend had requested I repair her bracelet, which featured turquoise fakies. Several of them had fallen out and she had even lost one. I put off this project, thinking it would involve lots of custom colour mixing and experimenting, all for a couple of grams of clay for one small "stone". 

When I finally pulled out all my PC packages, I was delighted to see that my STOCK PREMO WAS AN ALMOST 100% MATCH. It is an old package (at least 4 years!). I don't know if the formula has been changed since then (probably; Polyform/Sculpey is famous for tinkering). All I know is: this is exactly the colour I needed. It was one of the quickest jewelry repairs I have ever done :)

Moral of this story: Do keep on hand as many different colours, brands (ages?) of your PC as you can. I don't use Premo very much since discovering Kato. BUT sometimes it is just what I want for a very special project.

Naturally, in my haste to return my friend's bracelet, I didn't even take a photo of the finished repair. Will have to borrow her wrist one of these days :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! See you next time :)

6 comments:

  1. Love your outdoor photo of your clay and hostas! I am sure you did a marvelous job with her bracelet. I agree with you on having some old clay and new clay. I am almost out of my glow in the dark clay. :/ I wished I had originally had more in my inventory. I don't know about you, but it gives me such great pleasure to repair jewelry for friends and family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy retirement to your hubby. And good for you for taking the time to have some home front negotiations...LOL... Definitely necessary :) Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turquoise is a beautiful stone and your faux clay turquoise matches the colour really well, I have never tried to replicate stones with my clay but it makes an interesting challenge!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like turquoise because it can be matched with almost every colour. You did a great job with the "old" clay. :)
    Enjoy the company of the young retirement hubby and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely turquoise look you`ve got. It must have looked lovely on that bracelet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I had not thought about keeping old clay around for such a use. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...