Translate

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

CC7A Reveal for August: Colourful Chaos

Pin It


Welcome to the August edition of the Creative Continuum of Seven Artists! This month I was charged with providing the inspiration photo, and I chose this fun photo of the harbour of St. John's, the capital of the Canadian Province of Newfoundland and Labrador (commonly referred to simply as Newfoundland). Newfoundland only joined the country in 1949, and remains one of the most culturally unique spots in Canada. They are well-known for this style of brightly coloured architecture.





When I saw this photo I knew immediately I would use these adorable little ceramic house beads from Finland's Szilvia Vihriälä (Elukka). Especially apropos since Newfoundland's first European visitors were from Scandinavia over 1000 years ago.




I added these "Mardi Gras" Impression Jasper beads in 8mm and 18mm sizes, with copper findings, for a bold and fun design. This is super-sized at 38" in length. I thought the stone a great addition to my photo theme, as Newfoundland is known colloquially as "The Rock" ;)






Thanks everyone for dropping by, and do check out the designs from these talented ladies:

Alicia Marinache 
(*will post Saturday*)


Join us again on September 26 when Cynthia will inspire us with the colours of Indian Summer. See you then!

16 comments:

  1. What a great necklace. I love the houses and the stones that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow Monique what a fantastic piece! I LOVE the little houses, and your are so right that those jaspers are absolutely perfect for this piece. BRAVO. I had so much fun with your inspiration picture this month - thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique those little "house" beads are adorable and so unique ! Such a clever way of depicting the inspiration photo. All of your components; the jasper beads, the tiny ceramic house beads, and the warm copper, work so well together, creating a captivating piece that is playfully beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful and colourful necklace! You captured so well the theme of your photo.
    I arrived from Norway yesterday and I can't help to think of those wonderful villages we just left. I love this artist work, great combo with the Impression Jasper. Bravo Monique! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Houses!!! This is probably my favorite piece of jewelry of yours! What a perfect piece to represent your photo choice. Thanks for choosing such a great photo this month, Monique.
    I Love This Necklace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, what a fabulous inspiration photo you chose - so many possibilities! And wow! what a necklace. I can see this working beautifully with a black maxi dress - what a visual landing point those marvelous houses would be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice little houses on your beautiful necklace! I am coming over from Cynthia's blog...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome necklace Monique, I love the little brightly colored houses perfect for this challenge. The jasper beads go great with the houses and are a good representation of the photo's colors. I have enjoyed the history lessons from you and Cynthia, thank you for sharing.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  9. How simply gorgeous is this necklace! I adore those tiny houses! Perfect length, too! I have a strand of that Mardi Gras jasper, too...loving all of those colors in one perfect bead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is a stunning piece. Very bold. Love the colors and the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Monique, You chose a great photo and found such a unique way to show it. Your necklace is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Monique, what a gorgeous necklace. The photo is really inspiring and the little house beads just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely necklace! Those tiny little house beads look so adorable , and the jasper beads really are a perfect match to the little houses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's a beautiful necklace! I think the houses with the beads was a touch of genius. Excellent!....simply excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous necklace, Monique. I love the sweet house beads from Elukka and they are perfect in your colourful , chaotic necklace. Love the photo of St John's and that you are sharing some of Canada's maritime history with the world. There is so much about our wonderful nation that is unknown to the rest of the world and this is a wonderful way to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Monique. Really great piece of work, small pieces of house looks fab, I will be keep checking your blog for new houses ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each one! I am happy to reply to anyone who has an email attached to their profile, and I love doing just that (plus I was brought up to say "thanks" LOL). I don't usually reply here on the blog, but I will if you are a "no-reply blogger" with a question. Know that I appreciate EVERYONE who takes time to drop me a line!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...